Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Zombieland (2009)

A great companion movie to the classic Shaun of the Dead (click here to see my review), Zombieland just rocks! I most definitely will be purchasing this movie when it comes out on DVD and plan to watch it every October (if not multiple times before each Halloween). It made me jump out of my skin as well as laugh out loud. What a great combination.


The movie stars Woody Harrelson, who over the years I have grown quite fond of as he has matured into an interesting actor to watch – even if briefly – in such high quality flicks as No Country For Old Men. And Mr. Harrelson does not disappoint here. While this film is definitely a comedy – Woody brings a certain nuanced charm to his role that makes you see where he is coming from and forget that he was ever in Cheers.


The film also stars relative newcomer Jesse Eisenberg who starred in Adventureland earlier this year (notice the reoccurring theme in the title that pans out in more ways than one if you’ve seen both pics). And while I enjoyed Mr. Eisenberg in Adventureland, he was over the top in Zombieland with his dedication to his list of “rules” that must be followed if one is ever caught in a zombie apocalypse. As the narrator of the film, he set the entire tone.


Along with the zombies (and one great cameo which I won’t let out of the bag), Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin round out the cast. I saw Emma Stone in Paper Man earlier this year, and the girl definitely has range. I also love seeing Abigail Breslin continue to grow. She needs to keep finding roles that show her ability to move forward as an actress along the lines of Jodie Foster and not Lindsay Lohan.


In addition to great laughs and scares, the movie had an awesome soundtrack that fit with knocking off zombies to a T. Check it out in theatres now (see trailers below).


And take a look at this sweet picture of me as a zombie. You can zombify yourself at the Zombieland website.


End.

No comments: