Thursday, October 8, 2009

[REC] (2007)

In keeping with my current zombie theme, I thought I’d also review a 2007 Spanish film titled [REC].


The film follows a young reporter who hosts a show called “While You Sleep” and on this particular night, she is filming what occurs in a fire station after the residents of Barcelona are all comfortably tucked away in their beds.


While the city of Barcelona is sleeping soundly, all hell breaks loose at an apartment building where a woman has apparently gone crazy. And it pretty much all goes downhill from there. The residents of the apartment building along with the crew from the fire station, the report and her cameraman are all trapped in the building, which is locked-down and placed under quarantine.


What begins as a harmless conversation between the reporter and a sick, little girl that resides in the building about her dog (which is at the vet) leads to a much deeper story (with a bit more consequence to the rest of the quarantined residents).


This movie kept me jumping – particularly after the electricity to the building was shut off and the latter part of the film was shot in the dark, thus allowing us to view the film through the eyes of the reporter and her cameraman with night-vision goggles.


I won’t give away the ending, but – a great, fast-paced zombie scare.


End.


PS: The film had a US makeover last year titled Quarantine (which I did not see) in case subtitles are not your thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Suzanne said...

To Anonymous...thanks for the comment. I hope to post more over the holiday season w/ a review of the flicks coming out "Up in the Air" "Avatar", etc. Stay tuned.