Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Tale of Two Comedies

Below are the reviews of two recently released comedies – a romantic comedy and an “oh-so not” romantic comedy that have been raking in the bucks – even with “The Transformers” hot on their heels.

The Proposal (2009)
The romantic comedy of which I speak is “The Proposal” starring Sandra Bullock and the “It” guy of the moment – Ryan Reynolds (see posted “Paper Man” review below).

While I really wanted to love this movie (because of aforementioned Mr. Reynolds) it was in actuality only mildly entertaining. The best parts of the movie featuring Mr. Reynolds and Ms. Bullock were played out in the previews – leaving the viewer with little to laugh out during the actual movie. The two exceptions to this are the impeccable Betty White and the scene stealing Oscar Nunez (The Office).

I really wanted this movie to be much more enjoyable than it was – but that is strictly because I’ve got a crush on Ryan Reynolds. The movie was OK – especially if you just focus on Ryan – but it was fairly formulaic. However….


The Hangover
(2009)
I really didn’t have high expectations for this film because I was not a fan of “Old School” (in fact, I hated that movie) and Todd Phillips directed both films.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to thoroughly enjoy this film (and not just because Bradley Cooper was the lead – which, by the way – I had lunch with him in LA a few years ago – but I digress).

This movie had me laughing out loud the entire one hour and 40 minutes. The movie seems formulaic – a group of guys headed to Vegas for a bachelor party. But you are looking at a group of men in varying stages of their lives and I’m not sure any one in the group has yet to become a man.

You’ve got Alan (Zach Galifianakis) who very likely has never even been on a date with a woman and comes across slightly slow. Then there is Stu (played by the brilliant Ed Helms – also of “The Office”) who is straddled with a bitch of a girlfriend (Rachael Harris - also brilliant) and just really needs to man up. The least likable character of the whole bunch is Phil (Cooper) who is married with a gorgeous wife, a beautiful son and still acts like a whiney baby (he actually drove me crazy with his pathetic excuses for why he hated his life so much). And finally, there is the groom, Doug (Justin Bartha) who actually gets left out of most of this tale. Together they might make up one fully functioning adult.

I could write that the journey of searching for Doug (who apparently goes missing after one night in Vegas), bonds Alan, Stu and Phil into an everlasting friendship – but that would be searching for a deeper meaning than this film has to give. This movie is just plan fun and high jinx. There is no deeper meaning and it should be enjoyed for what it is – a movie made for no other purpose than to make you laugh. The only regret that I have about this picture is the ending stills that run over the credits. I think the movie would have been better served to leave the holes in the story as is and let the viewers’ imaginations run wild.

I have only one bad thing to say about this movie - Heather Graham.

Viewers can definitely wait to watch “The Proposal” on DVD, but “The Hangover” is worth an immediate viewing – and most likely – a repeat viewing too.

End.

No comments: