Sunday, November 2, 2008

L4yer Cake (2004)

To celebrate the return of Daniel Craig to the big screen in two weeks, I thought I’d feature another Daniel Craig movie that I loved – “Layer Cake”. Mr. Craig plays a character that is never identified by name throughout the entire movie. A successful cocaine dealer, he is handed his most challenging assignment on the same day he has planned his early retirement. He must find the missing daughter of his mobster boss’ old pal as well as negotiate a $2 million Ecstasy deal.

This assignment should be routine for our unnamed hero, but instead nothing goes according to plan and he soon learns it is not going to be as easy as he thought to retire (alive) and live happily ever after. This movie is a slick British crime thriller with lots of violence from director Matthew Vaughn (producer of “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” - another great flick). Cleverly written by J.J. Connelly (based on his novel), I'm not going to say too much more about the plot - because the movie is so entertaining, I don't want to give anything away.

However, if you can make it through the violence and the sometimes difficult to understand British accents – you will get the best payoff. The film’s end is one of the best ever. I inappropriately laughed out loud; I was so shocked by the ending. In fact – I think I need to watch this movie again – now.

The film also stars Michael Gambon, Sienna Miller, Jason Flemyng and Colm Meaney.

No comments: